Sunday, July 26, 2015

All good things have to come to an end, right?

If you were to document the rise and fall of internet marketing systems over the past 10 years… you’d see that very few last.

In fact, most reach a peak where they are doing large, impressive numbers...

But inevitably they stumble…...and then eventually crash and burn.

In their wake, they leave behind a group of very disappointed people, who have put in a lot of time and effort.

Why do these systems fail?

 1.)  Founders become arrogant.

This is to be expected. When you start from nothing, and then create a movement where your online system is doing hundreds of thousands a month… and where you’re treated like some kind of celebrity among those members, it’s easy to develop an ego.

And with arrogance, comes a feeling of invincibility. Many founders who experience this then get lazy and over-confident. 

Rather than focusing on innovation and taking their company to the next level, they start spending more time socializing with their peers, partying, buying Ferraris and expensive homes… and they lose touch with their own companies, and the markets they serve.

2.)  The business models are unsustainable.

Many start-ups in the internet marketing industry are all based on hype and false promises.

These types of businesses use recycled methods that no longer work, and are all about making short term cash for the owners. The focus here is solely on profits, and the members are poorly looked after.

The owners get rich by selling the dream to people who don’t know any better. But eventually, the truth comes out after a while, and the bubble bursts.

No business is ever going to last if they don’t look after their customers.

3.)  They are reliant on 4 or 5 top affiliates who bring in 90% of the sales.

When the owners have a falling out with a few of these top earners, it usually results in a huge reduction in volume - and sometimes, entire teams moving over to a competitor.

This a very common one. And it can prove to to be a nail in the coffin for the owners.

With MTTB… yes, we do have those who make hundreds of thousands a year in commissions.

But – we are far from dependent on them.

For one thing, I myself do a lot of paid advertising to my own MTTB links – acting as my own affiliate.

I do this because this puts me in your shoes:  I’m alongside you, experiencing exactly what it’s like to be an MTTB partner, seeing what works and what needs to be improved.

Google have a saying among their staff:  “you eat your own dog food.”

What it means, is that you use the tools and systems you create for your users.

So that’s what I do, because it puts me in your shoes, and helps us create the best system possible.

4.)  Founders are not marketers…

The first high ticket direct sales company I ever joined suffered from this.

It was run by 3 guys.

Two of them were remarkable salesman (the other was more focused on the product side of things).

But none of them were real direct response marketers...

None of them were doing their own marketing, sending traffic to their links, calling their own leads, doing what they told all us reps to do.

And, they started introducing all kinds of rules and restrictions about how we could market their company.

People like me, who were dedicating themselves to building their business and doing a lot of marketing online got very little support.

They kept making our jobs harder.

And, they even started telling us that we could only promote their company.

Anyone caught marketing another product or system as a side income was virtually booted out of the company!

I never liked that, because as a rep I wanted to diversify my income streams.

That’s why I allow my partners in MTTB to promote as many different offers as they like.

I prefer it when they promote MTTB of course… but I’ll never tell them what they can and can’t market – that’s an abuse of leadership.

5.)  Partners

I’m not talking about affiliate partners here.

I’m talking about part owners in the company having a difference in opinion.

This is exactly why I refuse to partner with anyone in the running and ownership of MOBE – I own 100% of the equity currently, and that is the way I intend to keep it.

Long term, I know that most partnerships (like 99% of them) don’t work out.

The partners naturally have different ideas about how things should be done… and, they have their disagreements.

Eventually, someone is forced out – and in most cases the company is scarred permanently.

I have seen this happen so many times, that I’m amazed at how many people so readily enter into business partnerships…

(Some advice: If you’re going to do this, treat it like you’re going into a marriage – it’s a pretty serious decision. And if you know the divorce rates, then you’ll see that even with this kind of seriousness, your chances are still not good).

So bottom line... My Top Tier Business is here to stay.

I’m as enthusiastic, focused, and driven at running it, as I’ve ever been.